Flood Prevention: Protect Your Home
Flooding does not just occur outside the house or when it rains. It also occurs inside the house because of the following reason:
- A leaking pipe. It is recommended to have a daily inspection of your pipes to see if there are any leakages.
- Check the kitchen area. If your refrigerator has an ice maker, double check the hose if to make sure if it is securely attached to its connection. Check the sink pipes for any leakages.
- The bathroom pipes. Check the shower and bathtub for any discoloration and molds. This indicates that there is a leaking pipe. Also check the sinks and toilets. The toilets can be clogged due to some reasons like too much tissue paper being thrown in the bowl and other inappropriate things that can cause the toilet to overflow.
- Utility room. Always check your water heating and cooling system. Washing machines are a culprit too, so check the hoses if it is damaged or not.
- Leaking roof, gutters, and drainage are also the major cause of flooding inside the house.
- Cracks and gaps on window and doors. Water can come in through these gaps and cracks.
Flooding can also be caused by the natural way.
- River Flooding - occurs when the river basin overflows due to melted ice, rainfall, and storms.
- Coastal Flooding - occurs when there’s a tropical storm and tidal waves.
- Urban Flooding - occurs when a land or soil loses its ability to absorb water.
- Flash Flooding - occurs when there’s a heavy rainfall coupled with intensity and duration. It also occurs when a dam overflows.
When there is a flood inside the house for whatever reason, find the source. If a leaking pipe is the problem, turn off your main water valve. Then, call a 24/7 flood restoration company as soon as you can. If you do not act on it quickly, the standing water can damage your floorings and carpets. It can even damage your furniture.